Thursday, January 19, 2012

How Africa is Viewed

I recently went to the dentist and during the small talk while i was getting my teeth cleaned i mentioned that i would be studying abroad in Cape Town. The technician immediately asked me if it was safe to go there because of the war. "Which war?" i asked. "Well, the one that's been in the news." 


Again, which war? The uprising in Egypt or Libya, the trouble between Kenya and Somalia, the wars in the Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi? There are many wars happening, but few are relevant to the tiny corner of Africa where I will be living. 


Over the past several months I've begun to realize how little people understand the world outside of the US, mainly Africa. It seems to be either needing to be rescued or looked down upon as if it were too barbaric, too primitive. Nobody seems to understand how diverse the land and the people are. 




I think this video describes my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment